Re: polarity conversion

To: "Frenken, Eric" <efrenken@lctax.de>
Subject: Re: polarity conversion
From: "Alan Seigrist Blue 100" <healey.nut@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 16:34:35 +0800
Hi Erik -

I found an old email I wrote on the subject:

It's simple for a late BJ8 -

1) you must convert the Tach.  Instructions are here:

http://www.lotus-cortina.com/electric/convert.htm

Alternatively you can have MoMa in New Mexico do the conversion for
you, and service the Tach at the same time.

Please note some early BJ8 tachs with an earthed chassis, so these
instructions will not work for very early BJ8s.  If this is the case,
use this article as a guide, although I'd rather send it to an expert:
http://www.chicagolandmgclub.com/driveline00/0505/mgb_tach.html

2) turn the battery around and re-hook it up.

3) polarize the generator.  This is done by swiping a positive lead on
the little tab on the back of the generator.  You only need to spark
it once, and that's enough for polarization... but to be honest it may
polarize itself when you start the car the first time.

If you have an original points fuel pump and starter, you won't need
to do anything else.  If you are unsure, follow the step by step here

http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/electric/et202.htm

Good Luck!

Alan

'52 A90