Gearbox is out...now what?

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Gearbox is out...now what?
From: "Justin Laborde" <spartan0199@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2006 19:17:10 -0500
This is a message I just posted at britishcarforum.com.  I'm just looking
for all the advice I can get from those who have experience with this.
Thanks.

Hi all,

This is my first post on this forum although I have written a couple notes
to the Healey email list. I have a 1961 3000 BT7 which has a sticky clutch.
This past summer if my car sat over night or longer the clutch would get
stuck and I couldn't engage any gears. I would get around this by starting
the car in gear after which it would work normal. I checked all the hyraulic
stuff and everything seemed ok...I changed the flexibe hose and rebuilt the
slave cylinder 3 years ago. The car has ~65,000 miles on it and was restored
by my dad and uncle from 1975 to 1980, they believe the clutch to be
original.

Anyhow....I have the gearbox, pressure plate, and clutch disk out of the
car. Looks to me like oil has contaminated the clutch. Two questions.

1) Should the seal at the front of the gearbox be changed? If so how does it
come out? (Does the bell housing need to be removed?)

2) The big question. Rear crankshaft oil seal kit (Moss). Should I do this,
are there any other alternatives? Can this be done with the engine still in
car? I'm really nervous about this job. From the description it sounds like
a difficut job. I only have basic hand tools, a cordless drll, and limited
experience!

Thanks for the advice.
Justin
Ypsilanti, Michigan

The MSN Entertainment Guide to Golden Globes is here.  Get all the scoop.
http://tv.msn.com/tv/globes2007/