Re: rear differential bearings

To: "linwood rose" <linwoodrose@mac.com>, "list healey"
Subject: Re: rear differential bearings
From: "Russ Bamsey" <rbamsey@rogers.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2006 16:20:11 -0500
Lin and Listers;
        I have rebuilt 5 rear ends with the Lempert rear gear sets and I
have found that although the original bearing were a good quality the pinion
bearings are a good candidate for replacement.  Pinion bearings are under a
lot more stress and RPM than carrier bearings. They are under a pre-load,
are much smaller than the larger ring gear carrier bearings and travel at 4
times the speed.  With new pinion bearings installed the pinion rotates as
smooth as silk instead of slightly rough.  I now recommend this for any rear
ends I rebuild.  Just my 2 cents worth but hope it helps...Russ Bamsey