RE: Pistons damaged again

To: "healey" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Pistons damaged again
From: "BJ8Healeys" <sbyers@ec.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2007 17:21:03 -0800
Hi, Ken -
I had the exact same thing happen to my BJ8 engine about 7 years ago.  I
heard the pieces breaking off the pistons and rattling around, but had no
idea what it was.  Between the first time I heard the noise and the second
time was about 6 months.  It was a loud, rattling sound like a wire coat
hanger caught in the fan, but it only lasted a split second -- just enough
to startle the crap out of me.  Following the second occurrence (the engine
still seemed to be running fine), I did a compression check and found
compression way down in #4.  After pulling the head, I found small pieces
missing from #2 and #3 piston edges, with one larger piece missing from #4,
just as you describe.

After removing the pistons, I found that the rings had broken up and wore a
triangle pattern (wider at the bottom) up through the remaining rings and
piston lands until the pieces broke off at the top of the piston.  #4 had a
smooth score in the wall that required a sleeve to repair.

I asked on the list what could have caused it, and got the general opinion
that it was either detonation or running hot.  I never heard any detonation,
and the engine continued to run about the same (well), as far as I could
tell.  Before the problem, I used regular gas with a lead substitute after
leaded gas disappeared.  Now, I use only premium and maybe I should be
checking my distributor advance as Dave Russell suggests.  I have a Mallory
dual point with mechanical advance only.  So far, so good.

Good luck!
Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry