RE: Bleeding brakes

To: "'Breda O'Sullivan'" <conbreda@eircom.net>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Bleeding brakes
From: "Simon Lachlan" <simon.lachlan@homecall.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2007 04:48:06 -0000
-----Original Message-----
From: owner-healeys@Autox.Team.Net [mailto:owner-healeys@Autox.Team.Net] On
Behalf Of Breda O'Sullivan
Sent: 12 January 2007 19:41
To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Bleeding brakes

Guys,

I changed and flushed the brake fluid on my BN4 recently.(dot 4)

I felt that I bleed them well with a one man kit, however I now have a
spongy pedal, leading to a very good pedal on the second pump.

Now looking back I think I may have bleed them in the wrong sequence, I
started at the front nearest the master cylinder, onto the front l/h and
back r/h then back l/h.

I guess I should have started at the wheel furthest away from the cylinder?

This would I take it make a difference?

Breda,
Hi,

Yes you should and yes it might.

I've found with my 3000 that whatever I did and wherever I did it, I always
got a spongy pedal until I reread the manual and tightened the bleed nipple
at the bottom of its stroke or even as it was coming down for the last time.
It seems that, over the years, the threads wear and a little air can get
drawn in.
I swapped over to Speedbleeders:-
www.speedbleeder.com

My 3000 takes a 3/8 x 24 bleeder and it's part number SB3824. I suppose,
only, that would be the same for you.
They do make it a genuine one man bleed. I imported mine. Postage was
minimal if I remember right and they didn't cost much. Our exchange rate
helps these days and I imagine yours will too?

Simon, back to Co.Antrim next week.