Re: annodizing cockpit trim

To: "Allen C Miller, Jr." <acmiller@mhcable.com>
Subject: Re: annodizing cockpit trim
From: rrengineer@dslextreme.com
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 07:50:54 -0800 (PST)
Allen,
     I had the cockpit trim anodized by Ano-Brite a few years ago for my
Bugeye restoration.  It came out perfect.  I am now restoring a BN2
and will not hesitate sending out the aluminum trim to them again.
They are very reasonable in price and have experience with British
car trim.  The anodizing you are looking for is called "Bright Dip"
anodizing.  While Ano-Brite does this process, it was explained to me
that chemicals used in the process vary from country to country, so
while the trim anodized here will be quite beautifully done, there
are slight differences in the finish.  Probably nothing anyone will
notice unless you had two pieces side by side, one from Ano-Brite and
one NOS from Healey production and it would only be slight.  You just
have to be concerned about deep scratches in the aluminum.  They will
polish them out, but if the scratch is too deep, it will change the
shape of the trim.  Other than that, you will be most happy when it
returns.  I get a lot of compliments on mine and asked where I had it
done.  While most people just polish the aluminum, which also looks
great, you have to keep polishing it.  I think the Bright Dip
anodizing is a much more pleasing finish to compliment a fresh
interior restoration.
Mike MacLean
56 BN2
60 AN5