Annaul overdrive snafu

To: "'Healey List'" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Annaul overdrive snafu
From: "Simon Lachlan" <simon.lachlan@homecall.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 16:52:33 -0000
Hi,

Overdrive continues to drive me mad.

Symptoms remain as previously reported:-

I can hear solenoid as soon as I depress throttle and again when I lift off.

Relay bench tests OK.

Solenoid clunks nicely and od engages OK on road.

Wiring has not been tampered with and looks fine. In-line fuse not blowing.

Switch on dash is OK.

3rd/4th switch seems OK.checks out per manual and I can hear od
engaging/disengaging as I move gear lever.

Actual od unit is fine and has plenty of the correct clean oil. (We won't
discuss which is the preferred oil.)

Suspect continues to be throttle switch, but I've been down that alley
before. Whenever I blame that switch it turns out to be something else.

If I take the b****y throttle switch apart, it looks OK and it seems to
function OK. But I would say that it's maybe a bit quick to
engage/disengage. That's to say that the slightest movement of the lever
breaks the continuity. It seems a bit trigger happy to me. What are the nuts
and bolts symptoms of a dead throttle switch? Which bit gives up where
leading to what happening where?

 Don't want to resort to my wallet and throw bits at this thing until it
goes away. Done that in the past and it a)costs a lot & b) does not teach me
what went wrong and ghow to be alert for it in the future.

Simon.