RE: Y'all

To: "'WILLIAM B LAWRENCE'" <ynotink@msn.com>,
Subject: RE: Y'all
From: "Peter Schauss" <schauss@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2007 21:58:48 -0500
A few examples from my experience:

Some years ago I was having dinner in a family steak house in Knoxville, TN.
I heard one of the waitresses asking if anyone knew where the desert (accent
on the first syllable) bowls were.

While I was going to graduate school in Norfolk, Virginia I worked for a
while as a teaching assistant in the Math Department.  One day I overheard
the following exchange between one of the local professors and a fellow from
India:

Local Professor:  Does anyone have an UMbrella (accent of the UM) I could
borrow.

Indian Professor:  A what?

LP:  You know, the thing that you carry to keep the rain off of your head.

IP:  Oh, you mean an umBRELLA (accent, heavily on the second syllable).

- Peter Schauss