Re: Y'all

To: Healeys <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Y'all
From: mike brooks <hypercubic@yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2007 03:19:09 -0800 (PST)
Having spent a few years in Houston, a regular coke seems to be a coke that's
not diet, sprite etc. As in "two cokes, one regular, one sprite".

Rgds

Mike
Brooks
Milano Italy

Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2007 22:16:02 -0600
From: "Greg Lemon"
<glemon@neb.rr.com>

I worked at a movie theater through
college, the first time someone from the
South asked for "2 cokes, a diet
coke and a sprite" I thought they wanted
four dirinks, but in fact they were
using coke as the generic term for a
sugary carbonated beverage.

I believe
we ultimately got it worked out and the young lady ended up by
asking the
question "don't y'all a call 'em cokes up here?"

I am still trying to figure
out how those in the areas where the term is
common differentiate between the
generic and specific coke, if I want a
specific coke do I ask for coke coke?
Can those of us from the part of the world that use this term this way
enlighten me?

By the way when it hovers around zero in the midwest for a
couple of weeks
we refer to it as "too damn cold to work on our cars" which
it is right now
by the way, hence all the time spent on y'all.

Greg Lemon
54
BN1