RE: side curtain rebuild

To: <Warthodson@aol.com>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: side curtain rebuild
From: "Tracy Drummond" <bighealey@charter.net>
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2007 05:08:28 -0800
Gary,

I did the following to rebuild mine (I have done two sets this way now) and
am happy with the results.

1. Complete disassembly and clean up.
2. Removed anodizing (they were very rough) by sanding with progressively
finer grit and a block where possible.
3. Polished on wheel.
4. Used Hemphills plexi-glass and felt kits (Ask Gary at Hemphills he has
the parts).  Required rounding all sliding and exposed edges BEFORE removing
protective plastic.
5. Used AHSpares mounting brackets on the first set (no rubber)
6. Used BCS Nocks mounting brackets on the second set (came with mushroom
rubber for rear bracket)

My observations are as follows:

If you can afford it have them re-anodized but the shined up aluminum is
also nice.

Binding in the channel is mostly caused by the plexi-glass being too tall
not too wide and rounding the top and bottom helps tremendously.

Do not clamp the little blocks from Hemphills very tight when gluing them to
the sliding window as they crack really easy.

I still have not found a suitable top rubber bumper.  I will probably use
the mushroom style.

Hope this helps.

PS.  It will be 70 degrees in the South Bay area today, vroom!!  I don't
need side curtains today!!

Tracy