Re: Colorado 100/4 on the road: fuel filter question

To: healeys <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Colorado 100/4 on the road: fuel filter question
From: Steven Newell <steven@newellboys.com>
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2007 12:29:30 -0600
Bob Spidell wrote:
> Am I the only one who thinks putting a filter in is, at best, a
> band-aid solution (guess
> what happens when the fuel filter plugs with crud)?
>
> If you have silt going through your system, you should pull the tank
> and clean and seal
> it (it likely has pin-hole leaks anyway--is there any gas smell in the
> boot?).  I'd flush the
> fuel lines too, and (at least) check the float bowls.
My TR4s and a formerly owned '47 CJ2A have sediment bowls on the fuel
pump. I figure the bowl is there because, well, the designers expected
owners to *need* to filter and remove sediment from the fuel systems.
The sediment didn't have to be rust. A filter would protect the
*downstream* pump and carbs. It's pretty easy to replace a fuel filter
-- certainly easier than emptying my sediment bowls and then trying to
get a good seal on the cork gasket.

Good points about the float bowls and lines. Before we tried to start
the car, I cleaned the bowls and the little screen on the bowl intakes,
then flushed the fuel line with clean fuel after we drained the tank of
3 gallons of vintage gasoline. We did our best to slosh out any gunk on
the bottom of the tank with fresh fuel. I didn't expect the tank to be
in good shape, but neither the boot nor his garage smell of gasoline. I
think the warm, dry garage prevented rust-through of the tank.

Steven Newell
Littleton, CO USA
'62 TR4 x 2 etc.