RE: Cooling Update, Part Two

To: "'M Lempert'" <mlempert@bellsouth.net>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Cooling Update, Part Two
From: "Michael Salter" <msalter@precisionsportscar.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 15:23:30 -0400
Glad to hear that your cooling problems seem to be resolved.

I would certainly concur that retarded timing could be a major contributor
however I would have to disagree regarding the "pusher fan" issues.

On AHX12 I use a fan from an early Dodge Caravan

This 4 bladed fan with a fairly comprehensive shroud definitely obstructs
air flow to the radiator but this seems to have no effect at low or high
speeds.

The engine in this car runs so cool that I had to install a thermostat to
get the temperature up over 160 degrees on a 65 degree day and the fan only
comes on for a brief period after the car has been idling for several
minutes.

Installing a thermostat on a 100S head is a bit of a challenge and I ended
up using 2 TR3 thermostat housings to do it.

Although I have never tried running the engine with them removed I believe
the ducting that I installed to prevent the recirculation of air from the
engine compartment made all the difference and would strongly recommend that
as a first step in resolving overheating problems.

Photos will be stripped but I will be happy to forward them to anyone
interested.

Michael Salter

100S (1955)

3000 Mk111(1965)