Re: [Healeys] Top Trunnion Needle Bearings

To: Tom Rech <tdrech@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Top Trunnion Needle Bearings
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 21:04:02 -0700
Tom,

I am totally unqualified to answer this question, but that's never
stopped me ;)

Generally, I have heard--and this makes mucho sense--that needle
bearings aren't a
particularly good idea on (for lack of a better word) "reciprocating"
pivots.  Usually, this
is in reference to using needle bearings on valve rockers, but the
principle is the same:
since the bearing doesn't rotate completely about the shaft, the needle
bearings are
essentially rocking back and forth on the same limited surfaces (also
you are
"concentrating" the friction and pressure on less surface area than for
a bushing).
Obviously, this can cause excessive localized wear, even to the point of
wearing
grooves in the shaft or flat-spotting the bearings themselves.

Given that the bushes are (should be) regularly lubed with quality
grease (I don't think
they're oillite, BTW), I'd expect them to last 100K miles or more.  The
needle bearings
might make steering a teensy bit easier, but who doesn't need a little
biceps workout?

bs