Re: [Healeys] Top Trunnion Needle Bearings

To: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Top Trunnion Needle Bearings
From: Dave Russell <rusd@sitestar.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2007 09:48:47 -0600
Hi Bob,

I agree with you that at first glance the application of reciprocating
needle bearings seems questionable.  In reality, they seem to work quite
well.

Perhaps the U joint needle bearings are one of the most common &
successful uses of them in a non rotating application.

In the case under discussion, I believe Cape's "Steering Trunion
Bearings" is the same as the AH Spares bearings, I doubt that the cost
of  special bearings & their fitting would offer enough improvement to
be of benefit. The original bearing design is fairly low friction &
offers long trouble free life. The weight of the car is not against this
bearing so it is not heavily loaded. I doubt that  steering effort  is
reduced much.

Regards,
Dave Russell