Re: [Healeys] Fly Wheels

To: Bill <bn1@pacbell.net>, Go2ghill@aol.com, Healey <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Fly Wheels
From: bspidell@comcast.net (Bob Spidell)
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 16:50:24 +0000
I posed (pretty much) the same question a while ago.
As far as physics, it seemed to me the weight of the flywheel
is a non-factor when you are accelerating or decelerating the
car in gear (the weight and inertia of the car is much more
significant).  One of the racers on the list (forgot who) pointed
out the advantage is in quicker downshifts, since you can rev
the engine quicker to match drivetrain speed.

AFAIK, that is the only advantage to the lightened flywheel
(significant for racing, for sure), unless wowing your friends
with a quick-revving engine is important to you ;)

bs

From: Bill <bn1@pacbell.net>