Re: [Healeys] Fly Wheels

To: bspidell@comcast.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Fly Wheels
From: glemon@neb.rr.com
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 12:07:26 -0500
The idea of the lightened flywheel is not the reduced weight of the
car, although every little bit helps, but the reduced weight of the
rotating mass of the engine, when you are accelerating the engine has
to overcome the resistance to change in motion (body in motion tends to
stay in motion, body at rest stay at rest) or inertia of both the
engine and the car.  The motor spins many times for every rotation of
the tires, even more so in low gears.  Theoretically there is a
multiplier effect depending on what gear you are in for the the
lightened flywheel beyond its nominal weight reduction.

That being said I now have a lightened flywheel in my car and have not
seen of any  Corvettes, 911s or Vipers yet.  In fact I don't know if I
can really tell much of a difference from the flywheel change, but I
made so many other changes to the motor it is hard to tell.

But it is relatively cheap, easy, and harmless as long as you don't go
too far, so why not.  Doesn't make much sense to lug around an uneeded
40+ lb anchor with the car.

Greg Lemon
54 BN1