Re: [Healeys] Cockpit Insulating revisited

To: "Mark and Kathy" <mgtrcars@galaxyinternet.net>, <healeys@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Cockpit Insulating revisited
From: "Healey Bruce" <healeybruce@roadrunner.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2007 21:50:27 -0800
Dynamat is a good material when redoing an interior, but for someone who
already has carpet fitted and the thickness of Dynamat would be a problem, I
would like to suggest an alternative I found.  Fiberfrax is a ceramic cloth
insulation, used commonly in aviation.  Pilots out there may be familiar
with it.  It provides excellent insulating properties up to something like
2000 degrees.  I have 1/2" thick batting "insulation" under my carpet, which
basically provides zero heat insulation.  I put 1/16" Fiberfrax cloth under
the batting, using 3M trim adhesive ("yellow snot") on the vertical surfaces
of the foot well and 3 sides for bell housing area.  I also insulated the
back side of the bell housing cover.  Because it is only 1/16", all the
carpet snaps in no problem.  You buy it by the foot, 24" wide, which,
coincidentally, is just about perfect for the foot wells and floor pan.  I
bought it from Aircraft Spruce and Specialty
(http://www.aircraftspruce.com/).  About $50 worth would do both sides.

Bruce Steele
1960 BN7
Brea, CA