[Healeys] hydraulic clutch question

To: Healeys Newsgroup <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Healeys] hydraulic clutch question
From: "Steve B. Gerow" <steveg@abrazosdata.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2008 20:38:12 -0800
I'm redoing my Smitty setup with a BJ8 flywheel and diaphragm clutch, and
need to make a new slave pushrod and have a question:
At rest, does the throwout bearing basically ride on the clutch?

In other words, when the clutch is at rest is the pushrod of sufficient
length to hold the TO brg against the clutch bearing surface?

The Toy setup doesn't have any mechanism to back off the TO bearing clear of
the clutch, like a mechanical linkage does. From the Moss book, it looks
like there is no such mechanism on the stock clutch either.

When you let off the clutch the forks push the piston back in the bore, and
the length of the pushrod basically keeps everything taught. With a shorter
pushrod, you won't get more slack between the TO and the clutch--you just
won't be pushing the piston back in the bore quite as much.

Would like to confirm this--sounds dumb and obvious but want to make sure
it's all cool so I don't have to r&r the trans a buncha times.

Thanks in advance.

--
Steve Gerow
Pasadena CA