Re: [Healeys] (no subject)

To: Stephen Hutchings <s.hutchings@rogers.com>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] (no subject)
From: George Haywood <haywoodone@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 20:57:00 -0500
Stephen,  Yes you should expect it to be stubborn.  First you must remove the
upper fulcrum pin because it passes through a grove in the swivel pin (king
pin) keeping the upper trunion from coming off inadvertently.  Look closely at
my picture and you can see it.  Then you can spray penetrating oil on it, wait
a while for it to work, and place the trunion in a vice with wood on each side
to protect the upper fulcrum pin hole.  I assume that you will be replacing
the king pins so you can turn the castle nut upside down to tap on it to break
it loose from the trunion while in the vice.  Using heat on the trunion would
probably help with freeing it up also with gentle tapping on the trunion or
the other end of the king pin as you turn the king pin back and forth.  Try
not to hit it very hard as you don't want to distort its shape.  I tried lots
of things but I used a gear puller with good results on one side.  The problem
with that technique is that there is not much lip on the trunion to get the
arms to hold on to.  I tried putting a rod through the trunion's fulcrum pin
hole and twisting it but that distorted the opening so I just got heavy with a
hammer and rod to get it off.  One side came off without much of a fight, the
other side I ruined.  The trunions can be found new or used from BCS and
others on the list.  If you get to the point where you may need one contact me
and I'll see what I can do.  I don't know of any short cut here, but I have
only done it once. Ain't it great!! George Haywood'65 bj8> Date: Fri, 25 Jan
2008 14:41:53 -0500> To: healeys@autox.team.net> From: s.hutchings@rogers.com>
CC: Upper@autox.team.net> Subject: [Healeys] (no subject)> > I'm rebuilding my
front suspension for the first time, so I'm taking > it slowly and carefully.>
I've got the front stub axle and king pin assembly on the bench, and > after
removing the castelleted nut, would like to pull off the upper > trunnion. I
suspect this may be a case of the manual making light of > a task which may be
complicated by the effects of age.......as in; > 'withdraw fulcrum pins' on
the lower 'A arms!> > Anyway, should I expect this to be a stubborn part to
remove, and > does anyone have any tricks?> I always get there in the end, but
the list has provided some great > short cuts in the past.> > Stephen> BJ8>
Helping your favorite cause is as easy as instant messaging. You IM, we give.

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/pjpeg]