Re: [Healeys] gas additives

To: "'T W'" <ah3000me@gmail.com>, <Healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] gas additives
From: "Ron Davies" <rdavies1@cox.net>
Date: Fri, 2 May 2008 18:03:08 -0700
I've always put 91 in my 67 BJ8 and it runs fine.
I can tell you that putting octane booster in my Aston Martin turned out to
be a very, very costly mistake. The DB7 was designed for 92 octane and as
you say it isn't available anymore. My choices were between adding 2 gallons
of 100 octane to every tank of 91 at $8/gal or using the booster that the PO
suggested.

Well, the additive fouled the ridiculously expensive platinum plugs which
the computer tried to compensate for and fried two sets of even more
expensive coil packs (a separate coil for each plug) and some other rare
electronic gizmo I have successfully cleared from my memory. Something like
a crank shaft sensor but in British terminology.

The AM dealership said "Duh" NEVER use octane additives, injector cleaners
or similar stuff. Now I add the racing fuel every other tank and everything
is fine. The car just screams. I'm not about to use it in my 67 BJ8 after
that experience.
Ron
SoCal
67 BJ8
97 DB7

I started using fuel injector/carb cleaner back in the 90's.  A local Honda
dealer in MD recommended it to a friend after they replaced all the fuel
injectors in his Prelude.

Anyway,  anyone else noticing the demise of 93 octane gas?   Last summer the
local Shell station switched from 93 to 91 octane high test. Today on my way
home, I stopped at the Mobil station which sold 93 octane gas, and they had
a 91 octane sticker pasted over the 93 octane pump.    I think Gulf is the
only one left in my area still selling 93 octane.

- Tom