Re: [Healeys] BN1/BN2 Timing

To: Alan Seigrist <healey.nut@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] BN1/BN2 Timing
From: Dave Russell <rusd@sitestar.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2008 16:40:54 -0600
Hi Alan,

Not sure what arrangement you may now have on the A90. Some only had a
mark on the flywheel, very difficult.

If you are so lucky as to have a TDC mark on the front pulley, a small
dimple near the top inside of the back belt groove, and an embossed
arrow on the front of the timing chain cover, this will locate TDC.

If no marks, accurately locate cylinder #1 at TDC, place a paint mark on
the pulley which aligns with the embossed arrow, if no arrow, place a
corresponding mark or pointer on the timing chain cover.

Measuring around the pulley circumference clockwise as viewed from the
front, each 0.235" is equal to five degrees. I would mark each five
degrees up to 35 degrees or 1.65".
The pulley measurements are assuming that your front pulley diameter is
5.380". If different, recalculate the .235" = five degrees measurement.
(5.38" diameter X 3.14 = 16.89" circumference. 16.89"/360 degrees =
.0469" per degree & 5 degrees = 0.235")

The timing really should be set with a strobe to about 35 degrees at
4,000 rpm, vacuum advance disconnected, for two reasons.
1- The total centrifugal advance in your distributor may be unknown or
not accurately specified.
2- If the high rpm timing is over advanced there can be "silent
detonation" (unheard because of other noises) which can be very
destructive to the engine. Set the maximum advance at high rpm & let the
idle & lower rpm numbers fall where they may.

Regards,
Dave Russell