Re: [Healeys] Question for Shop Owners / Restorers Only - OD

To: "'Mr. Finespanner'" <mrfinespanner@earthlink.net>, <healey.nut@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Question for Shop Owners / Restorers Only - OD
From: "Ron Davies" <rdavies1@cox.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 16:17:35 -0700
Just as an historical note, I had a 64 BJ8 in 1965 as my daily driver.
I only found out recently from the list (and my current 67 BJ8) that there
was such a thing as a throttle switch, ie after flipping the dash toggle
switch you had to press on the throttle to disengage the overdrive.

As a 16yo my one year old '64 was set so that flipping the toggle
immediately disengaged the OD and I used it that way for 70,000 miles
without knowing any differently. I drove that car very hard, up and down
mountain roads on Ski Patrol. I also didn't know you weren't supposed to
back up with the toggle in OD. I must have done that a hundred times.
The car ran great and I never had any OD issues. Must have been lucky but it
does say that setting it up that way doesn't ALWAYS mean disaster.
Ron Davies
SoCal
67 BJ8
97 DB7