Re: [Healeys] Question for Shop Owners / Restorers Only - OD

To: Tadeusz Malkiewicz <tadeusz.malkiewicz@plusnet.pl>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Question for Shop Owners / Restorers Only - OD
From: <glemon@neb.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 9:07:40 -0500
I am not a shop owner, but since everybody else has weighed iin I will as well,
the short answer for me is I like the throttle switch, but in my opinion you
don't need it.

It was part of the fun driving the BN1 to flip it out of overdrive...then blip
the throttle to actually get it out of OD, the sounds and sensations add to the
driving fun.

But I really don't think it is NEEDED and it is personal preference relating to
your feeling about the reliability of the part in question, originality and the
general driving experience.  You can jam your later Healeys into 1st gear while
rolling, but you shouldn't, and for your car and wallets sake I hope you don't.
 Likewise you shouldn't flip overdrive off without blipping the throttle, in my
opinion no clutch is needed, but you can do it the way (if you don't do it
right with the clutch and throttle though you can still strain the O/D), it is
called driving the car right, and takes the strain off the O/D and you should
have no problems without having a throttle switch if you drive this way.
Likewise you let off a little bit to let the revs match the O/D on engagement.

As others have said you can even treat the o/d worse than that and it may not
have a problem, but then again you might and with the time and cost of a
rebuild I wouldn't recommend it.

Greg Lemon