[Healeys] alternator

To: eric.frenken@brits-n-pieces.com
Subject: [Healeys] alternator
From: John Harper <ah@jharper.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 09:14:06 +0100
Eric

May I pick up on a point you made recently

>Theoretically (and nearly practically) the size of the battery is no factor
>for the charging current.

I submit that the charging current is almost entirely dependant on the
battery size. Assuming that we are considering a constant voltage
charging system then the charging current is dependant on voltage
difference and the battery internal resistance. For lead acid batteries
the voltage difference will be the same for all battery sizes for a
given level of charge.

However the internal resistance will be inversely proportional to the
plate area. Plate area is another way of saying size.

Therefore charging current is a factor of battery size.

Regards
--
John Harper