[Healeys] BJ7 Clutch Replacement Help

To: healeys@autox.team.net (Austin Healey)
Subject: [Healeys] BJ7 Clutch Replacement Help
From: ahy3000@comcast.net
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2008 20:18:09 +0000
After a year of procrastination, I've finally set about to replace my clutch.
I received emails from quite a few listers detailing the steps to follow.  At
this point I've got the bell housing/gearbox/overdrive assembly held up by a
large floor jack with a carved out 4x4 inch wooden block between the casing and
the jack.  The engine is supported by a screw jack properly padded.  Drive
shaft and starter are out of the car.  Clutch slave cylinder is out of the way.
Gearbox damper is removed. Speedo cable and wire to gearbox removed.  I've
taken the precaution some mentioned about loosening the throttle linkage.  I
removed the bell housing bolts and the assembly moves freely away from the
engine.

Question(s)

1. How much separation do I need between the bellhousing and the engine rear
plate before the first motion shaft is free and clear?
2. Can I continue to jack the bellhousing/gearbox/overdrive in that extended
position without damaging the shaft?
I understand that I need to jack the engine pretty much in sync with the
gearbox, but should both "pieces" be bolted together before I raise the gearbox?

As always, I anticipate and appreciate your help.

Burt

--
Burt Weiner
'63 BJ7