Re: [Healeys] CA AB 3053

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] CA AB 3053
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2008 17:27:45 -0700
I sure hope not; my parents live in Modesto and that is where we're
restoring our 100M.

AFAIK, CA was the first state with the smog exemption(s) for older
cars.  Yes, they still try to "take my old junker off the road" for $700
... I told them I'd consider $45,000 and haven't heard from them since
;)  Also, some wienie legislator managed to make home auto painting
illegal after 2010; he tried to get himself an extension to term limits
and all but got run out of the state.

There's other aspects to this; yes, there are old smoggers that SHOULD
be taken off the road (if your Healey leaves a cloud of blue smoke
behind you then shame on you--rebuild your engine or at least the head
else you give all Healey owners a bad name).  If not for reasonable
measures (catalytic converters, smog checks, etc.) the air in CA might
be unbreathable by now (as bad or worse than Los Angeles in the
summer).   In fact, the Central Valley--of which Modesto is almost smack
dead center--does get a little smoggy in the summer, in part, at least,
to smog that gets blown in from the Bay Area.

As mentioned, there's a lot of $$$ at stake in the "old car" hobby; I
don't lose any sleep worrying about somebody confiscating my Healeys in
my lifetime.  I've never gotten anything but praise and compliments from
CA people for my Healey, the only sour note came from a tree-hugger type
in Oregon.  I'd stay away from there.

Oh, BTW, your Healey should cost about $65/year to register, and there
are no other taxes that I know of.  Your insurance--depending on the
provider and the policy--may limit your mileage and usage, but the great
state of California couldn't care less.

California is car country; always has been and probably always will be.

Bob