Re: [Healeys] Webers

To: Warthodson@aol.com
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Webers
From: sebring@illawarra.hotkey.net.au
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 12:49:22 +1100
Quoting Warthodson@aol.com:

> Thanks to everyone that responded to my inquiry concerning Weber Carbs. I
> really appreciate the advise. Like a lot of things these days, the opinions
> were
>  split about 50/50. So,once again, I will have to make a decision. I hate
> that.
> Gary Hodson

Gary

What is the spec. or your planned spec. of the engine?

How do you intend to use the car?

DCOE style of carbs. are fitted standard to many European cars made in their
thousands. Therefore they do not have to mean extreme performance only. Their
beauty is the complexity of ports etc. to deliver the correct volume of fuel
and at the correct air:fuel ratio. I cannot tell you my choke size but is less
than 45mm. For a road based ( say 80% of the use) 42mm carbs with the correct
choke sizes would work better with reasonable economy. These sizes may be hard
to get as Weber went out of business. A friend here in Australia has just
fitted 45's on his 3000 with my cam spec. and the dyno man cant get a flat
spot out. It is vital to have the necessary range of jets etc. to achieve a
good result of driveability,economy and performance. Big Webers alone will not
do much apart from increasing the fuel bill. Weber parts are not readily
available at your average tuning shop.

The structual mods. are also more than cutting out the diagonal bracing that
goes from the top of the footwell down to the main chassis member. Even with
the chasssis cut down there is less than satisfactory room to fit a thin
pancake aircleaner.

Let me know if you want other comments.

My car is the last works car built and raced at Sebring so it has had the
advantage of the Healeys development and experience. If you have Geoff
Healey's book my engine dyno sheet is shown along with the earlier Sebring
cars. Remember there were only two 3000's with Webers at Sebring in 1963, one
in 1964 and one in 1965. The rally cars were built at M.G./BMC Competition
Dept and rallying required different spec., revs and gear ratios and torque
curves.

Joe