Re: [Healeys] exhaust header

To: healeydoc@sbcglobal.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] exhaust header
From: Warthodson@aol.com
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 12:12:08 EDT
The car is a Left Hand Drive 1964 Phase 1 BJ8. (Healey Ice Blue metallic,
if that makes a difference!)
The #1 exhaust pipe hits the angled support (the support that goes from
near the master cylinders down to the frame). The #1 pipe misses the steering
column be less than 1/32" which I do not feel is enough clearance.
The #2 & 3 pipes hit the top of the motor mount.
The  #6 pipe hits the angled insulation board on the toe  box.
In addition. the header cannot be installed with the studs in the head. The
 studs must be removed, then the header offered up into position & then the
 studs re-installed. I don't know if this is normal or not.
The engine was recently installed with rebuilt motor mounts including new
rubber. However, the motor mounts are the non-handed type from a 100/6. I
don't  see how this could be the cause of the interferences, however I have
purchased a  set of proper BJ8 mounts & new rubber & will swap out the mounts
to  eliminate this variable.
How these mounts ended up on my BJ8 remains a mystery. Why every thing  I
try to install requires modification is also a mystery.
Gary Hodson

In a message dated 4/22/2009 10:11:18 A.M. Central Daylight Time,