Re: [Healeys] Replacing pinion oil seal

To: Mark Schneider <mandmschneider@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Replacing pinion oil seal
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 6 May 2009 17:12:59 +0000 (UTC)
re:
" if I remove flange nut
and washer I can probably tap the flange off with careful use of a
small hammer. Am I correct?"

Yep. Note the flange and yoke are two separate parts--IIRC--tap on the yoke
with plastic/dead blow hammer if possible. They're splined--duh--and should
come off fairly easily unless they have never been removed (not likely) and are
rusted up; if so, get your favorite penetrating oil and/or carefully warm the
yoke.

re:
" To get to the oil seal the next step
will be removal of the oil seal housing. "

The seal is the usual type--like on a wheel bearing. Carefully hook it with a
screwdriver with a bent tip or some other 'sneaky pete' type device (don't
scratch the smooth pinion shaft surface). The new seal can be tapped back in
with a large socket or a drift , being sure to do all sides equally (don't get
the seal cocked in there).

Bob