Re: [Healeys] Wire Wheel Question

To: "'Healey List'" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Wire Wheel Question
From: "BJ8 Healeys" <sbyers@ec.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 6 May 2009 13:35:44 -0400
Yes, the spokes are like rivets.  When one fails, the load it was carrying
is re-distributed to the adjacent spokes and they begin to carry more load
than before.  Thus, they are likely to fail also if the broken spoke remains
un-replaced long enough.

I've had my Dayton chrome wheels (with stainless spokes) since 1991 and 83K
miles, and until last summer I had never had a broken spoke with them.  When
I arrived home after the cross-country drive to Conclave, I discovered my
right rear wheel with two adjacent broken spokes.  That wheel had been the
source of some vibration after a new tire was installed at Hendrix before I
left on the trip.  It was not installed, trued, and balanced by Allen
himself, as all had been previously.   After having the spokes replaced at
Hendrix and reinstalling the wheel on the right rear, I discovered one more
broken spoke later that Hendrix has also replaced.

The moral is:  along with driving on too many rough roads, out-of-balance
tires/wheels can also result in broken spokes.

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry
Havelock, NC  USA