[Healeys] Overdrive Problem

To: Healey List <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Healeys] Overdrive Problem
From: Rick Swain <rjswain@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 22:04:59 +0000
Thanks everyone for your suggestions about my overdrive problem. As suspected
it turned out that the oil pump cam had been installed backwards. I was able
to use a friend's shop which has a hoist (good kind of friend to have) and got
everything ready for taking out the gearbox on Saturday. My friend who rebuilt
the box came down to help on Sunday and in a bit over 3 hours we had the box
out, split, cam replaced correctly (he was embarrassed that he had made that
mistake) reassembled and back in the car. Thank you Mr. Finespanner and your
"wire trick."
Overdrive is now working as it should. I must mention that when I adjusted the
setting lever to align with the 3/16" hole in the case the overdrive wouldn't
work. I had to move it a little farther which is where it had been when the
car was taken apart.
Anyway, finally, after my almost 2 year rebuild which entailed a new Kilmartin
frame, most of the underlying sheet metal except for most of the front
bulkhead and inner front fenders, as well as new front and rear fenders and
trunk lid, my car is back on the road, fully functional and looking gorgeous.
I only have about 100 miles on the car but it is working great and feels great
- no shakes and rattles or squeaks. It feels like a new (if somewhat noisy)
car.
Rick'59 BN4