Re: [Healeys] Speedo Cable and the washer

To: "Healeys" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Speedo Cable and the washer
From: "Mirek Sharp" <m.g.sharp@sympatico.ca>
Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2009 19:52:50 -0400
Hi Bob,

I just had my speedo rebuilt at Nisonger and had the same issue.  They also
said needle wobble could be caused by the inner sticking too far into the
speedo head and sent a diagram indicating that the distance from the ferrule
on the outer cable to the end of the inner cable should be 7/16".  The
ferrule of the outer cable should sit firmly on the end of the speedo head.
If it doesn't then the inner is too long or  there is a bit of broken cable
jammed into the speedo head.

My cable fits perfectly on the speedo head and my needle still wavers a bit.
I think there is a weak spot in the inner that is not transferring the
changes in RPM smoothly so it sort of winds and unwinds a bit, causing the
needle to fluctuate (just a theory).  I will wait until it is really bad
then replace the inner cable.

Talking of which - anyone have a source for someone who can make up the
inner cables?  Alpha Instruments in Toronto used to make my cables, but poor
old Ted, the owner, suffered rapid onslaught of dementia and the contents
(including all the NOS Smith's instruments and sender units) was sold off.
I have no idea who bought it.  Ted worked for Smiths (Canada) and bought
their stock and all their machinery for making cables and testing Speedos
when they pulled out of Canada.

cheers,

Mirek