Re: [Healeys] suspension problem

To: <healeymanjim@hansencc.net>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] suspension problem
From: George Haywood <haywoodone@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2009 17:46:32 -0400
Hi Jim,

If you were able to install the upper trunion backwards then the top of the
wrongly installed side wheel would be tilted outward and the king pin would be
outboard of the upper fulcrum pins.  The kng pin nut should ride in between
the shock arms.  I would drive the car just a few feet, or push it for a few
revolutions of the wheels to get everything weighted and lined up properly and
look at things again while it is on the ground weighted.  Here are a couple of
pictures of my left front suspension both on the bench and on the car for
reference (please excuse the blurriness), if yours look like these then it is
correct. Note that the upper trunion is oriented so that the shock arms attach
outboard of the king pin.  Then the other possibilities will come into play.

Ain't it fun!!
Take care,

George Haywood
'65 bj8

 helping a club member work on his bj7 yesterday and noticed the right wheel
really leaning in at the top. the drivers side wheel looked ok. used a
carpenters level on them and the right one was over one bubble length or more
leaning in. the left side was fine. we recently did work on the drivers side
shock tower and had both shocks rebuilt. do not understand why the tower we
did not work on would be a problem. did not have time to take wheels off and
do measurements, but before we do is there any simple explanation. both shocks
came off this car so do not think one has a shorter arm on the shock, but will
examine them this coming week. hope we did not get the trunnion turned the
wrong way, but anything is possible. any help appreciated. hjim
Windows Live: Make it easier for your friends to see what youre up to on
Facebook.
http://windowslive.com/Campaign/SocialNetworking?ocid=PID23285::T:WLMTAGL:ON:
WL:en-US:SI_SB_facebook:082009

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/pjpeg]