Re: [Healeys] Missing in action?

To: robertduquette@sympatico.ca, healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Missing in action?
From: Editorgary@aol.com
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 12:58:27 EDT
In a message dated 9/29/09 5:40:40 AM, robertduquette@sympatico.ca writes:

> And so, the newbie asks ...
>
> What is a stock radiator 'baffle'?
>
> No antifreeze would be a problem here in Canada.  Temps get below freezing
> occasionally before storage in the fall.
>
> Texas coolers are for 6 cylinder engines only?  Not that I have an
> overheating problem, ... so far.  I do have the 100M style bonnet though,
which
> probably lets out a lot of the heat.  That and the fact that we haven't had
> any hot days this summer since I have the car.

On the six-cylinder engines, there are two panels -- one on either side of
the radiator -- that keep the air coming into the grille from circulating
around the radiator rather than through it. They were added later in the
development of the six-cyl engines, but should be retrofitted to every car
with
that body style that doesn't already have them.

You're right: you do need antifreeze if you're in an area where the car can
be in sub-freezing conditions, but never more than 50 percent solution, and
if it does get hot in the summer, change it out for that driving period for
water and Water Wetter (which has an anti-corrosion additive as well as
raising the boiling point.

Any lightweight six-blade fan will be much better than the stock two-blade
or four-blade cast fans for better cooling in street conditions, and if you
face lots of periods of slow speed traffic in hot weather, the addition of a
small electric fan is a good idea.

best
Gary