[Healeys] Me--part one

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: [Healeys] Me--part one
From: Awgertoo@aol.com
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 2009 16:45:08 EDT
I tried to post this earlier but it must have been too long so I  will
break it into two parts:
 To all--

What's the old saying that reports of my death have been seriously
overexaggerated?

Yes, I am having a difficult time just processing how in the space of 60
days it feels like so much has slipped away.  I have lost a lot of weight,  I
have physical discomfort but I AM NOT DEAD AND I AM NOT DYING.  I have
Ulcerative Colitis (google it and you will see that it is a little  understood
auto-immune condition and plays out differently for different  people).  I
am taking a course of several medications, both  steroidal and not, and the
hope is that things will heal and turn around  for me in a few months.  If
drug rehab does not do it then there are  surgical alternatives, and I will
certainly not be the first guy to have to bite  that bullet.

That said, the drugs are quite overwhelming.  Sometimes  they confuse me,
everything tastes wrong, I feel like my feet are  on backwards, and because I
am also taking pain meds I am not currently able to  drive.  Because of
these and other things I sometimes feel a lot of loss,  sadness and am no doubt
alternatively irritable and I know I am not the  best patient.  My wife
Mary (who gave the report that Michael Salter  forwarded earlier) is a
wonderful person without whom I would be lost, and I am  trying to be compliant
but
I cannot say that the picture  she portrays would be the one I might paint
nor do I always  feel she understands all.  Nevertheless I am okay with what
she shared and I will simply fill in a bit .

Generally my energy level is good and I have been able to be over at my
shop for several hours a day, though today I had nothing to give.  I have
decided my racing season for 2009 is over and once I do some things to the
Elva to get it ready for next year I will pack it up for the winter in its
trailer.  OTOH there are lots of things that I have been putting off doing  to
the 100.  I never really completed the fitting of the NICAL hardtop, the
side curtains still need to be finished, I want to run a compression  leakdown
test, and also check clearances of the oil pump as the oil  pressure drops
to 20 at hot idle and though I know Michael Salter says  these cars do not
need oil I do want to investigate the internal  condition of things, etc.

Me--Part two to:follow.

Best--Michael Oritt