Re: [Healeys] heritage certificate question

To: "'healey help'" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] heritage certificate question
From: "BJ8 Healeys" <sbyers@ec.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 13:38:51 -0500
Ira, BMIHT will issue a certificate identifying the original chassis and
body number and other manufacturing details for the car that left the
factory with engine 29D/RU/H9267 (BMIHT charges a premium for doing a
reverse search on an engine or body number).  However, are you sure that the
engine is original to the chassis that it now resides in?  If not, then
making the VIN plate conform to the engine number could cause some problems
if the "true" chassis is still out there somewhere.

I am aware of a situation with a BJ8 a few years ago where the owner in
Arizona went to the DMV to register his car.  The DMV did some kind of
national search on the VIN and turned up a car in Wisconsin using the same
VIN and would not allow him to register his car until HE resolved the
conflict.

Some DMVs are easier to convince to change a number than others, so if you
show up with your new VIN plate attached with screws the Oregon DMV may not
buy your story.

But it's your car.....

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666