Re: [Healeys] heritage certificate question

To: "'healey help'" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] heritage certificate question
From: "BJ8 Healeys" <sbyers@ec.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 04:39:48 -0500
Ira, you will get the build info on the car that left the factory with that
engine, and since you've stated that your engine is not original to your
chassis, you won't be getting any information about the chassis you actually
have.  Since you have no body number and have found no number on the shock
tower, there is no way to identify the original number of the chassis (to my
knowledge).  The most you could do is use the chassis number you would get
from BMIHT for the engine.
I think your chances are slim of finding out if that chassis number is
already being used by another car unless the DMV does a national search on
that number before allowing you to register the car.  Of course, the
BT7-I/-II registries would be a source to check to see if the VIN exists
somewhere.
I also think you're going to get some static from DMV to changing the number
on your title anyway unless they buy the engine number on the certificate as
proof of the correct chassis identification.  Since engines are obviously
replaceable, I would be surprised if the DMV would cave in just on that
evidence.
The BT7 experts can chime in, but to my knowledge there is no place on the
chassis of 3000s where the chassis number was marked except for the shock
tower number of later cars.

It's just my opinion, but putting a VIN on a car you know not to have been
that number originally isn't quite kosher.  Some owner of the car in the
future is going to get an unpleasant surprise when he finds out.   I just
experienced that with a new BJ8 owner when I told him his beautiful new car
was not the VIN that he thought he had bought.

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry
Havelock, NC  USA