Re: [Healeys] Speaking of tire Pressure

To: Mark LaPierre <lapierrem@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Speaking of tire Pressure
From: Oudesluys <coudesluijs@chello.nl>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2009 14:29:28 +0100
Mark,

Consumer research showed more often than once that tire gauges mostly
are very inaccurate, independent of the price you pay for them. Your
best bet is to get a digital one, The digital gauges from Michelin are
reasonably accurate as are the mechanical ones from Hella and VDO. At
the fuel pump go for a station with a new(ish) digital air pump/gauge,
for some you may have to pay. These are nearly always spot on. These can
be used to roughly check your own gauge. At least that is the situation
over here.

The worst ones are the very impressive ones that you get in a set
together with an airblaster, paint sprayer and other pneumatic tools.
They are usually included in compressor packages. They can be downright
dangerous as they often indicate a much higher pressure than actually
there, leading to serious under inflation.
Also absolutely useless are most gauges on footpumps and mini
compressors that run of your battery.

Over inflation on radials is not so much of a problem, it causes a harsh
ride and in some cases excessive wear in the middle of the thread.   In
diagonal tires this is much more obvious. Under inflation is problem, it
will cause overheating, which can lead to lethal thread separation, and
excessive wear on the outside of the thread.
Under inflation leads to serious braking and handling problems.

Kees Oudesluijs
NL