Re: [Healeys] "No,

To: "'Healey Mail List'" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] "No,
From: "Chris Masucci" <csooch1@aol.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2009 21:32:51 -0600
Just a little Physics since I am a big geek.  This is one of my favorite
sites http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/HFrame.html Since these
speeds are not relativistic we can use the standard energy equation:

E = 1/2 mv^2 (one-half m v squared)

So, are two cars moving at 40MPH striking each other releasing more energy
than one car hitting a brick wall at 80MPH?  Lets assume the mass is 1500kg
(3300lbs) for all cars and that each car, on impact, stops in about
0.5meters.

For the two car crash where each is going 40MPH and they hit head on, both
cars are subjected to an impact force, to stop in a half meter, of about
(479,627 Newtons) 54 tons.

For the one car crash where the one car is going 80MPH, that the one car is
subjected to an impact force, to stop in a half meter, of about (1,918,510
Newtons) 216 tons.

Yeah...drive slower this season.

Cheers,
Chris