Re: [Healeys] Hartop noise

To: britishcars@shaw.ca, healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Hartop noise
From: awgertoo@aol.com
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2009 22:34:54 EST
In a message dated 12/30/2009 10:13:15 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
britishcars@shaw.ca writes:

Hi Michael,

Michael's  comment...."the hardtop definitely cuts down on noise in general
and   increases
comfort" caught my attention.

I've been thinking  about a hardtop for quite some time but am nervous that
it will INCREASE the  interior noise.   While you get increased wind noise
with the top  down, I think that the mechanical noise of the car is quiter
with the top down  than with the soft-top up.  So, I assumed that with a
hardtop, the  interior noise would also be louder.

Am in  incorrect?   Is the car quieter with a hardtop?  In particular  from
a mechanical and exhaust point of  view.

Paul
Paul--

I can only give you my personal experience with both my 100 and my  wife's
3000:  With the hardtop on noise of all kinds--mechanical,  wind, exhaust,
etc.--is definitely reduced and the discomfort caused  by wind buffeting and
long hours in the sun is also a  memory.  It is not only quieter but more
comfortable with the hardtop  mounted.

And don't forget that the hardtops' mountings are semi-permanent (or  less)
and easily removed/remounted--ten minutes each way max with two  people
assuming good planning.  Probably no more time than erecting a soft  top from
beginning to end though it does require a storage area for the hardtop  and a
second person, though the top on my 100 is so light that I really can  do
it by myself being careful in placement, etc.

As you may guess I like hardtops.  If you don't--and many are in that
department--then the discussion becomes moot.

Best--Michael