Re: [Healeys] Gas and ethanol

To: Attean Lake Lodge <info@atteanlodge.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Gas and ethanol
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 2010 17:28:47 -0800
Well, avgas doesn't have alcohol in it, if that's what you mean.  But, I
think you'd have problems running exclusively on avgas, as it still has
lots of lead in it.  It would likely foul your plugs and/or rings (with
elemental lead) eventually, esp. since I doubt modern auto oils are
formulated to scavenge lead (Mobil AV1 full synthetic aviation oil was
pulled from the market due to it not scavenging lead properly and
causing some engines' rings to gunk up).   Plus, avgas is up to twice
the price of auto gas, you'd have to transport and pump it, you'd owe
the gov't road taxes, etc.  It has a lower Reid Vapor Pressure than
autogas, and would make for hard starting in a cold climate.

Best bet, if you're worried about it, is to replace rubber components
with modern parts.  I'm sure I've run some gasohol in my BJ8 since you
can never be sure, and I've had no problems.

bs