[Healeys] Grille surround and top cowl MkII BT7

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Healeys] Grille surround and top cowl MkII BT7
From: "Simon Lachlan" <simon.lachlan@homecall.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 2010 12:03:21 -0000
Gurus,
One of these days I'll get my grille surround a) back & b) in a satisfactory
condition. After 12 weeks I finally got it back but it still had the
original hole in it! Things have got legal and difficult, but I live in
hope.
So, looking to the future and an eventual refitting of all the errant
parts.....
I have a well illustrated and lucid article on/in(?) my PC which details the
many ins and outs of refitting grille surround, top cowl slats etc. Very
useful. However, it states that the top cowl goes on first ie, to put in
simple terms, that the top cowl sits on the shroud and the surround sits on
the cowl. I have a second grille surround with which I have been practising
and it seems counter-intuitive to do it that way:-
a) it doesn't seem to want to fit
b) there are captive nuts on the cowl which, to do anything useful, have to
be on the outside of the whole assembly or they would not serve their
purpose ie to haul the whole thing back in snug towards the engine as the
bolts are tightened up.
Now, the article is so competently put together that I've either misread it
or I've missed the point somewhere along the line. So, what's the answer?
I've got good access and multi-jointed wrists and elbows which flex in 360
so I reckon I can get it all together with a bit of guidance.
Finally, the little nuts, bolts, washers etc at either end of the top
cowl....If the assembly goes as I suspect it must, cowl on last, then those
are inaccessible??? Are they not? Or were the three captive nuts on the cowl
an  afterthought/improvement and the nuts, bolts at the ends are redundant?
.......or have I missed the point again?
Simon