Re: [Healeys] 100 Starter Motor

To: Thomas Willig <twillig@ruda.de>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] 100 Starter Motor
From: "Curt/Nancy Arndt" <cnaarndt@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 07:28:34 -0700
Thomas,

No reference to the starter hp, only the engine hp where listed.  And no, I
don't know the hp of the Vanguard engine in the Morgan.  This starter is
also listed as being used on several other vehicle applications to include
Standard "Vanguard" (later) '56-'60; "Ensign" '58-'60 and Triumph TR3
(later) '59-'60.

The bottom line is that 25550 is NOT the correct starter for your car, so my
advice is to locate the correct starter (25521) and have it rebuilt
correctly by a competent shop, check all electrical connections and it
should work just fine.  Remember these starters worked fine when the cars
were new and if set up as such will work just as they did back then.

When I rebuilt my generator and starter I did it properly.  The case was
stripped and I had new Glyptol painted inside. I installed new NOS field
windings and terminals in both, and since Ford tractors used LUCAS for years
the Ford windings were exact replacements for the originals.  All new
bushings, brushes, and NOS front and back plates in the generator, NOS
armature, pinion, sleeve and springs on the starter.  Bottom line as good or
better than new!

This is my problem with things like gear reduction starters and pertronix
ignitions and such is that folks cut corners when restoring and then wonder
why the originals don't work as well?

In the case of ignition systems if the original points setup doesn't work
well they switch to a modern alternative.  Well sure the modern system will
help to compensate with a worn shaft bushing or other worn parts but I can
tell you from personal experience that the old points setup works just fine
if they are maintained as new, and that's even during a record cold winter
back in college where I dug my Healey out of a snow bank and started it in
-15 degree weather.  The car barely turned over due to the cold but caught
almost immediately and fired up just fine!

Enough preaching.

Cheers,

Curt

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html