Re: [Healeys] Speedometer

To: "Dan Smither" <jobu53@hotmail.com>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Speedometer
From: "Rich C" <richchrysler@quickclic.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2010 19:30:42 -0400
Hello all,

This may be a related scenario. We have been experiencing a number of
speedos that have been doing erratic behavior, a lot of bouncing and
sticking of the needle, soon followed by complete failure. Specifically, all
four have all been instances where the speedometers have been completely
rebuilt and reconditioned by Nissonger Instruments within a couple of
thousand mile earlier (if even that much) and new after market speedo cables
from the usual suppliers have been installed.
Upon returning these defective speedos to Nisonger, they've stripped them
down again and had to thoroughly clean oil out of the mechanisms. When these
were returned to us they were accompanied ny a preprinted standardized nots
stating the excessive oil had been found in the instrument and further
warranty work would not be done until the source of the oil is eliminated.
Further converstaion with them stated that it's quite a common problem with
today's replacement speedo cables to have the inner core "woven the wrong
way" so that it acts as an efficient auger screw to move oil from the
gearbox fitting, up the inner cable tube and into the instrument. They claim
that original Smiths cables' inner core is woven the opposite way so that
any auger type effect screws any oil back toward the gearbox and away from
the speedo head.

Anybody else hear of this?

Rich Chrysler