Re: [Healeys] overdrive planetary alignment

To: "Dave Porter" <frogeye@porterscustom.com>, "'Richard Ewald'"
Subject: Re: [Healeys] overdrive planetary alignment
From: "Ed Woods" <fogbro1@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2010 16:22:46 -0400
Dave and All,

The thing that precipitated my inquiry was the fact that this particular 22%
planetary has NO punch marks. I have probably done in excess of 50 'A' type
overdrive transmissions, both Austin Healey and Triumph, and have never
found this to be the case till now. So, I was wondering how proper alignment
was to be found in the absence of these marks.

So, this afternoon I installed this 22% planetary, sunwheel, and annulus in
the rear case and attempted to install the mainshaft. What I found was that,
no mater where the planetary gears were positioned, the mainshaft went fully
home and the assembly turned freely.

Next, I did the same with a 28% set I had on hand. What I found was that the
sunwheel/planetary combination could only be inserted into the annulus when
the alignment marks were positioned per the book. If any one of the 3
planetary gears was out of position, the sunwheel/planetary could not be
inserted into the annulus.

Unfortunately I do not have a "marked" 22% planetary/sunwheel on hand, so
cannot try to duplicate the results I had with the 28% set.

So, on the basis of these two tests, my conclusion is that an unmarked set
is unmarked because it doesn't need to be aligned and that a marked set does
require the proper alignment. Don't know why one set in 50 would be
unmarked, but that's the way my somewhat limited test turned out. Maybe the
folks that took over from Laycock-de-Normanville can explain???

Best,

Ed Woods

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html