[Healeys] Steering allignment

To: <healeys@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: [Healeys] Steering allignment
From: "Mark LaPierre" <lapierrem@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 30 May 2010 07:36:39 -0400
Thanks tons to those  who chimed in on my exhaust question.   The tunnel is
going back on.

I also had the front end checked  while at the local shop just to satisfy my
own curiosity as to
how close I was able to get it set in the garage with the List suggestions.

The tech was able to get it set to about  -.02  on both sides.  I know this is
"toe out" rather than
"toe in "but they said it was really , really close to being set to zero.
The machine fluctuated so much that this was as close as they could get it to
the 1/16 " toe in".   I should also mention
that  the only adjustments that they made were done by turning the cross bar
back and forth.
The " cross rod ball joints" were never removed to make individual side to
side adjustments.

I was pretty happy at the time that they were able to get it so close however,
the steering wheel is now about 3 to 4 inches to the left of dead center where
I had it set. So this means that the
"slight friction point" of the Healey steering box is now set slightly to the
left of where it should be and not in the  center of the turning distance.

How critical is it to have the " friction spot" directly in the middle of the
steering movement?

Mark
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html