Re: [Healeys] synthetic or oil additives

To: Stephen Hutchings <s.hutchings@rogers.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] synthetic or oil additives
From: Richard Ewald <richard.ewald@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2010 07:53:54 -0700
FWIW, I witnessed something like this when I was a young pup in the gas
station.
A buddy of the boss had just bought an old Rambler with a straight 6 for
$50.
It had a noise in the engine.  We listened to it, sounded like it was from
the valves, so we pulled the cover.  Didn't see anything wrong, so we
started it.  Still could not localize the noise, so we raised it on the
rack, now it sounded like it was from the bottom.
So we shut it off drained the oil and pulled the pan.   Everything looked
OK, so they started the engine.  Still could not localize the noise.
About that time a string of gas customers came in, and I was busy helping
them.  When the gas customers finally ran out, I went back into the lube
room only to find no Rambler, no boss and no boss's buddy.  WTF?
I look around and see the oil pan on the ground WTF?  Seriously WTF?
At this point I am baffled.
About 20 minutes later they drove back in.  When they could not localize the
noise they said what the hell, it's only a $50 dollar car and they drove it
to the machine shop to have the machinest listen to it.  Number 2 rod
bearing was bad.
they bought a rod bearing, and a pan gasket and drove the sucker back to the
gas station.  They installed the bearing, pan and poured the old oil back
into the car.
It ran for at least 1 more year.
Of couse at other times, I have seen engines grenade about 1 second after
the oil pressure light went on.
YMMV
Rick

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html