[Healeys] synthetic or oil additives

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: [Healeys] synthetic or oil additives
From: Frederich Ficke <jagwarman@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2010 00:45:57 -0400
I look at these additives from the aspect of years of building engines. The
technology was there in the 1960's that we have today. I know duhh but
anyway . The old Healey motors are built loose a lot looser than todays
engines and if you keep in mind with british cars SU carbs always dump some
fuel into the crankcase from choking to start the cars. What good does that
do your oil or the life of your bearings. About 60% of your oil pressure
readings comes from your cam bearings . and then your mains and rods.

I read these articals you all have provided but all it really is one company
debunking another because the believe theres are better.

Here is another fact from experience you can assemble an engine with many
various lubes from straight engine oil on the bearings to lithium grease to
STP that looks like cold glue running out of a can. Which of these three is
going build oil pressure faster on that fresh engine first start and which
of these products is going to stay on the bearing the longest while that
engine is trying to build oil pressure. Now of course in todays engine
building we have to use lithium grease otherwise called assembly lube
because clearences have been greatly reduced in the bearing areas. This is
why new cars are running oil such 15 wt 30 or 5 30 wt.Just for grins i
wanted to see what putting 20 50 castrol would do to oil pressure in a 2006
ford focus that normally runs 5 30 wt oil. A buddy let me do this in a
wrecking yard due to the car being a roll over and the car had about 35000
miles on it. it took 20 minutes for the engine to seize because the oil was
to thick to get between the bearings and the crankshaft.

My point to all this is just from experience changing oil is the longevity
of any engine but on these old british cars I believe it helps to use the
additives especially since the oil gets thinned down due to fuel getting
into the crankcase.

One other issue new car makers suggest 5000 miles interval oil changes or
some even say 7500 miles . Auto makers want you to think your saving money
by not changing your oil like we use to at 2500 miles but in reality if you
took a new car and changed oil at 2500 miles religously it would last for
ever. I bougth a new Dodge dually in 1995 with the cummins diesel I now have
640,000 miles on the engine with no repairs or tear downs and to this day it
still uses no oil at 2500 mile changes and it doesn't even look dirty at
2500 miles. Just my thoughts on all this additives. Now everyone can
starting beating me up again
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html