Re: [Healeys] synthetic or oil additives

To: Richard Ewald <richard.ewald@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] synthetic or oil additives
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2010 07:58:21 -0700
Hoo boy.  If a little knowledge is a bad thing, a little science is a
tarrible thing (as Charles Barkley would say).

Amsoil is really reaching here (another reason I prefer Redline).  My
guess is a lot of the aftermarket products have ZDDP in them, which is a
compound of zinc, phosphorous and oxygen.  The Amsoil argument seems to be:

1) Head&Shoulders has zinc in it (the active ingredient is a zinc
compound).  You wouldn't put Head&Shoulders in your engine, would you dummy?

2) Coke has phosphoric acid in it, phosphoric acid is made with
phosphorous, you wouldn't put Coke in your engine, would you,  idiot (as
an aside, phosphoric acid will dissolve rust--it's the active ingredient
in Naval Jelly--which is why Coke is sometimes recommended for rust
removal)?

ZDDP is a very specialized compound, with a proven track record for
protecting against metal on metal contact.  Both the zinc and
phosphorous are required in an exact formulation--putting both Coke and
H&S in your engine will not accomplish the same result (and would make
you, well, a dummy).

Now, whether you think the reduction/removal of ZDDP in engine oil is a
crisis or not is another topic we've beaten to death.

bs

Bob Spidell           San Jose, CA            bspidell@comcast.net

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html