Re: [Healeys] oil pressure relief valve

To: sbyers@ec.rr.com, healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] oil pressure relief valve
From: bighealey3k@aim.com
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 12:56:57 -0400
I agree with Steve, the column of air in the oil pressure line needs to be
there to dampen out the oil pump pulses.  I addressed this issue back on Aug
6th in a reply to the list and David Masucci who had an "oscillating" oil
pressure gauge and he thought air in the line caused it.  I related to him and
the list how my '67 BJ8 that I've owned since new and know that the oil line
had never been disconnected from the engine or oil pressure gauge since new
and I was driving in traffic and all of a sudden my oil pressure gauge started
to vibrate and the needle oscillated very rapidly and I noticed a drop of oil
on my left pant leg.  I looked at the back of the gauge and saw a drop of oil
hanging on the nut that attached the direct reading oil line to the back of
the gauge.  I tightened the nut and it did not help.  I guessed there must
have been a column of air in the line that was lost due to the nut at the back
of the gauge not being tight enough.  I took the line loose at the engine and
gauge and blew out the line and reconnected both ends and the problem cleared
up and has never reoccurred since and that was back in '69 or '70.  There is a
small pin hole in the fitting to the back of the oil pressure gauge that
dampens the pressure entering the gauge and I'm guessing the hole can't dampen
the oil pump pulses with a column of oil directly at the back of the gauge.
The column of air does the dampening and smoothes out the pulses.

Larry
'67 BJ8